Members and contacts
Baltic Metropoles Network is a joint voice of the capitals and major cities of the Baltic Sea Region states. The network links together 10 cities of diverse culture and history, development routes and traditions – Berlin, Helsinki, Malmö, Oslo, Riga, Stockholm, St. Petersburg, Tallinn, Vilnius and Warsaw. The metropolises are important players on regional and European arena.
- Together with the surrounding areas, the Baltic Metropolises are home to 21 million inhabitants, every fourth citizen of the Baltic Sea Region.
- The joint annual GDP of the 11 cities (together with Copenhagen) was EUR 340 billion in 2002.
- There are 92 universities, 145 polytechnics, university colleges and academies with a total number of students and academic staff of 1,25 million. Every fourth inhabitant has attained higher education.
- There are 86 science and research centres; over EUR 20,9 billion is invested in research and development annually – 47% of the total R&D input of the Baltic Sea Region.
- The total budget spending of the metropolises is EUR 43 billion in 2006.